What Are The Characteristics Of A Good Narrative Essay?
A narrative essay gives a person the chance to talk about himself through a personal experience. It provides a platform where one reveals how a certain encounter changed his life and created a new way of seeing the world. A narrative essay should tell your story in a creative and interesting manner. This type of essay presents the writer’s story in an entertaining way. We at iwriteessays.com give you the best tips on how to start a narrative essay.
1. Characteristics of a good narrative essay
- Involves readers in the story- for an interesting story, the events of the narrative must incorporate readers in the incidences. Recreate the original story to fit in your readers.
- Relates events in sequence- recreate the events in yours story to be at specific scenes set at actual places and in actual times.
- Include detailed observations of people, voices, places, and events- you should give vivid description in a re-created way. Give actual dialogues, names of people, sounds, and sights.
- Present important changes, differences, conflicts, and create moods- the events in your essay should relate to a real life setting. A conflict between characters might make the readers more anxious to know what will become of the conflicting characters.
- Tells the story from the first person’s point of view "I”
- Connects the past to the present – you should present your narrative in a way that it relates to today’s world.
- Communicates the thesis statement- all the events in your story should relate to the main idea behind the narrative. The thesis must be clear to the reader.
2. How To Write A Narrative Essay Outline, Body, And Finalize The Essay
- Prewrite the narrative- this step requires you to think of a topic to write about. This includes a human experience, which the writer feels emotionally connected to. After choosing a topic, brainstorm on a perfect event that will explain the thesis behind a story.
- Draft a narrative essay- a draft includes an outline of how the main essay will look like. In coming up with an effective draft make use of the characteristics of a good narrative essay as given above.
- Write and revise your essay- use the outline prepared to write your essay. Revise your essay while making exceptions of reviewing and reorganisation of the work.
- Edit your essay- in this segment proofread your essay and correct errors to improve style and clarity.