How To Cite Bible Verse In An Essay
Writers find it easy to quote bible scriptures in an essay compares to quoting any book. There is no any set rule when making bible quotation in an essay. Some times writers choose to quote at the end or even beginning of a sentence whichever place it is all right. When making bible citation in an essay mostly it depends with the format that you have been given to follow, for example the American Psychology Association (MLA) or even the APA style. Observe the rules of the style while making bible citation.
Steps To Follow When Making Bible Citation In An Essay Using MLA Style
- Make sure you appropriately type bible verse at the right location. Avoid misplaced citation in your essay.
- As you type this verses put them in quote since there are not your own contraction, hence putting in quotation marks is important to show that you have borrowed them from somewhere.
- After the quotations, add in parenthesis quoting the specific bible that you are quoting. The name of the particular bible should be italicized or underlined. After that add in the book name, followed by chapter and finally the verse. For example; (king James Version, psalms 4:10)
- Create a page of "work cited” using italics type in the bible version you are citing and you close it with a period. This is followed by the name of editor and then period. Write in the location of publication, a colon, and name of publisher, comma, and then year of publication.
Steps to follow when making bible citation in an essay using APA style
- At the right location type in the bible verse. Put in the scripture verse in quotation marks as they are not yours.
- Next after quotation is the name of the book, chapter and the verse.
- In this style specific version of the bible comes in parenthesis after the chapter and verse. For example; psalms 4:10(King James Version)
Under APA style you don’t put in "works cited” page. Making bible quotation using Chicago and MLA style is totally similar.
When writing your essay using making several quotes from the same bible version write it ones, then throughout write just the book name, chapter and verse.